Thursday, February 16, 2012

School School, School--FUN!

         Right now I am in a little village called La Herradura close to the Mediterranean Sea and literally right across from Africa! At night, if you have the perfect light, you can see Africa, that’s how close it is! On the beach there are heart shaped rocks, 3-4 playgrounds, a mini soccer field, and 2 exercising places!
The two schools (one in Portland, the other in La Herradura) that I go to are completely different! Here are some differences about them. One funny thing is, the mascots rhyme in English but not in Spanish!
 GROUT (THE EAGLES)
Grout is the first school I went to and am coming back to in July. It is in Portland and it has a cafeteria so you have about 15 minutes to eat lunch first and then 45 minutes of recess. There is only one teacher for all the subjects so you get to know that teacher pretty well. You have at least three days to get your homework done and turned in. The homework is spread out, not everyday so you aren’t too rushed to get it turned in unless you save the homework until the day before when you have to have it turned in.
  
         LAS GAVIOTAS (Spanish school in La Herradura) (THE SEAGULLS)
         Las Gaviotas is a school that doesn’t have a cafeteria because you eat lunch at home and have a snack at school, which means that you have an hour to play, talk and eat. There are multiple teachers for the subjects, so I have one teacher for math (Matemáticas in Spanish), another teacher for science (Conocimiento del Medio in Spanish) etc. You only have one day to finish your homework and turn it in the next day. Otherwise you have to do that homework plus the homework that you get that day. Everyone there speaks Spanish, but some of the kids speak some English so we can communicate pretty well, them speaking some English, me speaking some Spanish.
         There are some differences about both my schools! They’re pretty different aren’t they? I was surprised when I was told that my homework had to be turned in the next day!  

No comments:

Post a Comment